Sunday, May 18, 2014

With what you know about this genre, (from the links above, or from watching mockumentaries in general) tell us your personal take on how you feel about it. What the benefits for filming something in this style are, and how does the genre apply to the digital age?

I love mockumentaries. One of my favorites is "How to be a Serial Killer." I think they're witty, and I like how crude they are. I like to think of it as a reality Simpsons or Family Guy. It's a little bit Mumblecore in my opinion, but with better audio. The satire of serious things is funny as heck though, like politics, for example. I watch shows like The Office and Parks and Recreation all the time, and they're great.

Benefit wise, this style is great. It doesn't have to look perfect, in fact the point is not to, making filming and audio a lot easier to control/not control. A lot of them seem like videos you would send in to Americas Funniest Home Videos. The camera work isn't necessarily shaky, but it isn't completely still. I love the whole interview portion of them though.

Like I've said before, technology/equipment is becoming more accessible as well as affordable. People could easily go out and buy a camera and an inexpensive microphone to make their own film. There are a lot more opportunities that have been offered to filmmakers now because of The Digital Age, especially with this genre. People could easily recreate some sort of spoof of mockumentaries/mockumentary television, such as what Paul's group did.

Good job on that, by the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment